Friday, June 1, 2012

Conversation


I often think I over text message, this is mostly how I communicate throughout the day with my family and friends.  I appreciate the convenience of quick dialogue via text messaging; however, I’m afraid it deters me from picking up the phone to have a more meaningful conversation every now and then.  And, of course, the ease of texting increases the opportunity for dialogue so it’s constant and distracting. 

The days I’m at work, I spend a majority of my time engaging in face to face conversation.   After a full day at the office, I find myself exhausted from the constant dialogue.  The older I get, the less social I’ve become.
In general, I would say I definitely talk more than I listen.  I’ve always been challenged with quieting my thoughts enough to really listen and be present.  I’m always working on this.    

One of my greatest motivations for going back to work was to have more conversation with grown-ups.  While I love the words I exchange with my children, I find myself needing more on a daily basis.  In the most ironic way, my kids oversimplify conversation while at the same time pressure hangs on my every word.  They are constantly listening and learning from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment